Scouts is a great experience if you interested in:
- enjoy the outdoors
- learning lifelong skills
- have fun with other boys your own age
- help others in the community
- learn values that will last a lifetime
We welcome all boys in the area to come and join us. No knowledge or prerequisites are required. As long as you are 11 years old or have completed 5th grade is the Scouting requirement we follow. If your currently in Cub Scouts, be sure to check out our Cub Scout page.
Our troop program begins at 11 years old, or has completed the 5th grade, or the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but is not yet 18 years old.
Troop 834 meets every Thursday at Our Lady of Grace Church from 7pm to 8:30 pm. We camp at least once a month. We hope that you will join us.
For more information please contact us here
What do Scouts do?
- Scouting is run by the boys and girls in the program and is designed to build and foster lifetime skills. Scouting is a year-round program for boys and girls 11 through 17 designed to achieve the aims of Scouting through a vigorous outdoor program and peer group leadership with the counsel of an adult Scoutmaster.
- Together, the scouts and adults form a Troop. Within the troop are several patrols. These patrols represent individual teams of scouts that work, hike and camp together. A boy/girl immediately learns that his fellow Scouts are trying to live by a unique set of rules; rules that stress trustworthiness, loyalty, and honesty. Scouts also learn many specific outdoor skills including building campfires, hiking, first aid, swimming, canoeing, etc..
- Among the activities offered are more than 120 hobby and career skills available through the Merit Badge program, year-round camping and outside activities, an honor camping society, recognition, leadership training, service projects and special events. (More details on camping below).
- Our troop runs camping events year-round. We participate in a week-long camp in July to one of several Scout Reservations in the area. These camps offer Scouts an opportunity to experience sailing, swimming, rifle and shotgun shooting, archery, ecology, fishing, and much more.
- The troop goes camping once a month to various locations and with different themes each month. Take a look at our calendar of events and see what we are doing and where we are going.
What is the cost?
Costs are very minimal. Especially when compared to other activities available. Some of the initial costs to join Scouting are:
- Annual Registration and Insurance Fee. All Scouts pay this fee that goes directly to the BSA national office.
- Scouts also have the option of purchasing a subscription to Boys’ Life Magazine.
- Scouts will also need to purchase a Scout handbook and a Boy Scout Field book during their first year that will be used for all of their scouting years.
Ready to visit Troop 834
Troop Meetings are usually held every Thursday evening from 7pm to 8:30pm at Our Lady of Grace Church on Bower Hill Road, in Conroy Hall. Go to our Calendar to see our schedule. We would be glad to meet with you and answer any questions you have about our troop or Boy Scouts in general. Hope to see you soon!
Let us know you are coming and we will gather a packet of information for you.
Who can join Troop 834?
You must be a boy who has completed the fifth grade or is 11 years old and no older than 18 years old. Everyone is welcome. Join with a Friend!