Pictures from Troop 834’s Golf Fundraiser on October 31 are now on the website! To view them, visit the page “Pictures“. If you have pictures of your own from that event, you can share them with the troop on the page “Upload” (requires an approved website account).
- At this meeting we focused on finishing lashings, particularly working with the tripod and diagonal lashings. Several ex-Troop 834 scouts who “graduated” this past year returned to say hello. At the end of the meeting we played Dodgeball.
- Permission slips will be released soon for the Pittsburgh Hike on December 20.
- If you have not received your Sarris Candy yet, contact Mrs. Megan Vaites to set up a pickup time.
- The subject of this meeting was lashings. The older scouts taught how to tie square and tripod lashings to the younger scouts. Afterwards we played the game Submarines.
- This weekend is the November Weekend Campout to Camp Twin Echo! Be ready to leave at 6:00 pm Friday at the Scout Locker.
- There will be no meeting next week due to Thanksgiving. Enjoy the time you will spend with your families. Scouts: remember to help out around the holidays!
October is going to be a busy month for Troop 834! Read below to see an overview of what is happening this month.
At the September Court of Honor, recently earned merit badges and ranks were handed out, summer camp stories were told, and the annual program and new troop leadership were announced. The troop website is now up-to-date with the most recent information, such as:
- Troop elections were held at the beginning of this meeting. Afterwards, Chip continued with emergency evacuation plans for a house fire and nuclear meltdown as part of the Emergency Prepardness Merit Badge. At the end of the meeting David Domalik explained how to sign up for text message announcements.
- Full details for the September Weekend Campout at Laurel Ridge State Park have been released. To read them and print out a permission slip, click here.
- Troop 834 will be participating in Jamboree-on-the-Air this year. This is completely voluntary and can be done on an individual-scout basis. For more information, click here. See Chip before contacting a radio operator!
- Troop 834 is selling popcorn as an individual fundraiser. If you would like to sell popcorn, see Chip.
- Starting with this meeting, Chip will be working on the Emergency Prepardness merit badge with the scouts at all meetings in September.
- Decisions on the location of summer camp 2016 still need to be made, and we would love to hear your input! Let Chip know what your opinion is about summer camp at a meeting, in an email, or on the page Contact Us.
- More details about the September Campout and the golf outing are on their way! To see a full up-to-date list of activities, visit the page Calendar.
- A former scout of Troop 834 was recently the victim of a house fire in Scott Township. He is asking for financial donations on his GoFundMe page.
- Tony and Beth Licciardello will be holding classes to work on the Ad Altare Dei Roman Catholic Religious Emblem this fall. For more information and to sign up, see the event here.
- A Flag Retirement Ceremony will be held in remembrance of the lives lost on 9/11. For more information, see the event here.
- If you still haven’t signed up for text message notifications yet, you can do so here. (Requires a website account)
Events are starting to be finalized for the upcoming year and the months of September and October are filling up!
- Sept. 3 – First troop meeting requiring Class A
- Sept. 17 – Summer Camp Court of Honor
- Sept. 26-27 – September Weekend Campout
- Oct. 9-11 – Adult Leader Training
- Oct. 24-25 – October Weekend Campout
- Oct. 31 – Golf Fundraiser
- Oct. 31 – Merit Badge University
- *NEW* Order of the Arrow events are also included in the calendar
A full list of the events can be found on the Calendar. As details are finalized they will be added to the individual events. Permission slips will also be available in the event descriptions.
- At this meeting, Chip taught the scouts how to tie a tie, stressing the importance of dressing right for the appropriate situations.
- Several dates were finalized tonight and further details will be coming soon. To see a full list of all the events, look at the calendar.
- Troop 834 now has a way to send you announcements straight to your phone through text messages. To sign up for the service, see this page.
- The adults discussed the upcoming schedule for the year, including the September campout, September Court of Honor, October golf fundraiser, and 2016 summer camp. As soon as these dates are finalized, they will be announced on this website.
- Next week will be the last meeting for Class B uniforms. Class A uniforms will be required at all troop meetings starting September 3.